Weapons and ammunition are generally accepted as checked-in baggage. Check-in must be completed no later than 1½ hours before departure. You must bring a valid weapon permit with you, and a declaration has to be completed and signed.
When you arrive at the airport, you must show up no later than 1 hour before departure, in order for your weapon to be registered correctly.
You must make sure in advance that the weapon is unloaded, and that there is no ammunition in the barrel, and if it's possible the remove the base, it must be packed separately.
Any ammunition must also be packed separately and in the original packaging. The weight of the ammunitions must not exceed 5 kg. pr. passenger.
Download and fill out the weapon declaration here »
A permit must be applied for in the following situations:
Weapons between Greenland and Denmark: State weapon type, caliber, manufacturing number, etc. The permit is issued by the chief constable’s office in Greenland/Denmark provided that an import permit from the relevant police district in Denmark/Grønland is presented.
Weapons that are carried on flights from countries other than Denmark to Greenland: Export permit from native country and valid blue EU weapons passport.
Weapons of any nature are accepted only as baggage that is checked into the hold. Weapons must be correctly and neutrally packed, and ammunition and any bolts must be removed and packed separately.
On check-in, the passenger must state the following:
- Weapon type: rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or other
- Ammunition type: pointed projectile, lead shot, steel shot or other (projectiles may not contain explosive substances or incendiary substances).
- Weight of ammunition – max. permitted weight 5 kg
Weapons that are transported on domestic flights in Greenland by permanent residents of Greenland do not require a permit.
- Pursuant to legislation, special permission can be obtained to acquire, possess, carry, use, export or import weapons and ammunition.
- Following special permission from the Danish Transport Authority, permission can be obtained to transport weapons and ammunition.