Remember to arrive in good time
In Greenland check-in must be finished 1 hour before departure.
In Denmark, we strongly recommend that you check-in 3 hours before departure, due to possible long waiting time in Security afterword's. Check-in closes 1 hour before departure.
After check-in, you must be at the airport at the latest 30 minutes before departure.
Travelling from Greenland:
- Web and Mobile Check-In is possible from 22 hours before your scheduled departure.
- If you are traveling to Denmark and have a Standard Flex, Premium, or Premium Flex ticket, you must have checked in your luggage at the airport no later than 30 minutes before departure.
- If you have a Takuss or Standard ticket, your luggage have to be checked in at the airport no later than 1 hour before departure. This applies to both domestic and foreign travel.
- if you only have a ‘carry on bag’ you can wait with the check in until 30 min. before departure. However, if you have a Takuss or Standard ticket, you must continue to check in no later than 1 hour before departure.
Please note: In Nuuk you can check in your luggage the day before your departure no later than 4 pm, except on Sundays. Thus, you just have to show up no later than half an hour before your departure the following day.
Travelling from Denmark:
- You must check your luggage at Copenhagen Airport at least 1 hour before departure. However, we always recommend that you show up at the airport 2 hours before departure, as security checks and the walk to the gate can take a long time.
Check in at Copenhagen Airport is opens 3 hours before departure.
- If you only bring a ‘carry on bag’, you can wait to arrive at the airport until 30 minutes before departure. However, keep in mind that you still need to have checked in 1 hour before departure. We would like to point out that there may be a long queue at the security check and therefore recommend that you show up well in advance.
- If you are traveling from Copenhagen, you can save time by using the self-service check-in machines and deliver your luggage at "behind the drop".
Web Check-In & Mobile Check-In
When travelling from/within Greenland and from Denmark to Greenland you are able to print your own boarding pass using our Web Check-In, or get a digital boarding pass right on your smartphone by using our Mobile Check-in.
Go to Mobile check-in » (using your smartphone)
For Web Check-In as well as Mobile Check-in, you will be prompted for your last name and booking number or e-ticket number, and you must be able to show valid ID on request.
For both Web- and Mobile Check-in you’ll be prompted for your surname and booking or e-ticket number, and you must be able to show valid ID when boarding. It is possible to select or change seating.
- Web- and Mobile Check-in is possible from 22 hours before your scheduled flight time up until 1 hour before departure.
- If you bring carry-on luggage only, the arrival time must be no later than 30 minutes prior to departure. However, you still need to check-in no later than 1 hour prior to departure.
- If you have any luggage to check-in, this must be done no later than 1 hour prior to departure. If you travel from Copenhagen, you can save time by going directly to the bag drop.
At the counter
Have your booking number, GL-number – the flight number which appears on your itinerary – and valid identification ready when you check in.
Visa – foreign nationals
If you wish to travel to Greenland, you should inquire whether you will need a visa. In the affirmative, make sure to file an application in due time. There are different rules for residents of Schengen-countries, and when traveling via Copenhagen you may need a visa for Denmark as well.
Please check the applicable rules
- Naalakkersuisut – Government of Greenland: Coming to Greenland »
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark »
- Danish Immigration Services – Greenland »
Resident in Greenland
If you're resident in Greenland, you can use your:
- Driver's licence
- Civil registration number certificate (CPR number)
- Birth certificate
- Certificate of residence
- Seamans Discharge book
as identification. You can print your certificate of residence via the following link: Print your own certificate of residence.
Resident in Denmark
Valid forms of identification are:
- Driver's licence
- Medical card or
Residents from the rest of the world
Valid forms of identification are:
- Government issued ID-card (for citizens from Finland and Sweden)
- Driver's license (for citizens from the Nordic Countries)
- Travel document for refugees or stateless persons
Read more here (look for "What are the conditions?"): Visa to the Faroe Island or Greenland.
Valid forms of identification for children are:
- Birth certificate or
- Certificate of residence.
REMEMBER: Today children must have their own passport from birth.
Important to be in good time
Always arrive in plenty of time – and allow yourself even more time during the holiday season! If check-in hasn’t been completed 1 hour prior to the scheduled departure time, you may be refused entry at the desk, as a result of which your flight ticket will no longer be valid and can’t be changed to another departure. Your ticket can’t be refunded, although any taxes will be reimbursed. Check in at Copenhagen Airport is opens 3 hours before departure.
For your own safety
The reason why check-in must be completed at least one hour prior to departure is that Air Greenland’s personnel need time to scan all baggage for security reasons and to sort the baggage according to destination and then transfer the baggage out to the aircraft. The weight of baggage also determines how heavily the aircraft is fuelled.
Air Greenland has no interline agreements at the moment, and it is therefore not possible to check your luggage in further than to Copenhagen Airport.